Friday, August 6, 2010

Homemade Granola

I have been trying to eat healthier and am always looking for new recipes. I found this one for granola and it is delicious!
Everyday Granola
3 Cups old-fashioned oats
1 Cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
1/3 Cup honey
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon dried fruit

Directions:
Preheat over to 300 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Stir honey and oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture; toss. Spread on prepared sheet.Bake until golden brown, stirring every 10minutes for about 40 minutes. Let cool. Stir in mix dried fruit. Store in air tight container for a week

This is the exact recipe but I have made changes below.
I think it is better but you can play around with it and see what you like.
I bake at 250 degrees for an 1 1/2 hours with out stirring.
I do not heat the honey and oil together. Instead I add oil to a bowl and rub oil around the sides then add honey. Stir together. Because you rub oil on the sides it come right out.
I don't use very much salt.
I don't add dried fruit because I mix it with yogurt that already has fruit in it.
*its really good hot out of the over, before it hardens, and topped on vanilla frozen yogurt. So yummy!

No comments: